coconut curry quinoa + 5 ways to cook quinoa
Weeknight mealtimes have been sort of iffy lately. Most times, I manage to plan ahead for my evening meal. Sometimes, I just wing it with what's in the fridge and pantry. Since quinoa is something I always have on hand, it makes frequent appearances alongside or underneath whatever else I've cooked. Occasionally though, I like to give the little grain some more attention. You know, zhoozh it up a bit so it doesn't always fade into the background. Here's one of my favorite ways:
makes about 4 servings
- 2 cups quinoa (I like to use a combo of regular and black quinoa)
- small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- roma tomato, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 Tbsp of curry powder (vary amount according to your tastes)
- small can of coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
5 Ways to Use Cooked Quinoa:
- Quinoa mac-and-cheese - A more protein-packed version of the classic dish. I use the quinoa mac-and-cheese recipe from Moni's Meals as a guideline.
- Quinoa stir fry - Stir fry peas, diced carrots, diced green onions, and any other veggies you like with crushed garlic and ginger. Toss in cooked quinoa, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Quinoa salad - Toss cooked quinoa with diced cucumber, tomatoes, fresh basil, feta cheese, and a vinaigrette. Add more veggies and salad fixings as you like.
- Quinoa cakes - Mix cooked quinoa with beaten egg, minced shallots, and grated parmesan cheese. Shape into small cakes and pan-fry. Serve as a snack or appetizer.
- Quinoa burgers - Mix cooked quinoa with ground beef or turkey, egg, and seasonings. Shape into burger-sized patties and cook as you would cook burgers. It's a nice way to add a little whole grain to your meal.
top photo: Quinoa with Chickpeas, Curry, and Lime