20 things mama used to (and still does) say
I was listening to WABE the other day and the announcer asked for listeners to call in and share things that their mother always said that they still remembered. I didn't get a chance to call in and share my memories, but in honor of Mother's Day, I thought I'd share them with you, Dear Reader. Here goes...
1. It’s better to have and not need than to need and not have.
2. There is a difference between being a woman and being a lady.
3. Always be observant.
4. Your beauty may open a door, but your brain will keep it open for you.
5. The streets will always be there.
6. If you ever feel you want to try drugs or alcohol, come to me first. (yeah, my mom’s progressive as hell!)
7. Bedtime is at 9:30 pm. (progressive, yet ridiculously strict!)
8. Always take 2 quarters with you, so you can use the pay phone if he acts up on the date. (obviously before cell phones!)
9. Never go for the HMO option.
10. Real ladies keep their shoes on all night (for those of y’all who like to wear those heels you can’t walk in).
11. As long as you live under my roof, you will do what I say.
12. Never say, "I don’t know" when I ask why you did something. Say, "Because I wanted to". You should always know why you did something.
13. Y’all called me up to the school for THIS? (when I got in trouble for saying the word ‘penis’ on camera in high school)
14. Don’t be the one who is influenced. Be the one who influences.
15. People didn’t expect much from you because I was a single parent. Just shows you that you shouldn't worry about what people expect.
17. I guess I have to cut the apron strings at some point.
18. Alright, queen. don’t forget I am yo’ mama! (said when we ‘argue’)
19. Aren’t you lucky to have such a beautiful muuuther!? (I am, by the way)
20. You know I always got your back. (and I got yours, mama!)
What are some things your mother used to (or still does) say?
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. We hear you, even when we're not listening ;-).